by Admin Edatachase
Tiramisu is the perfect dessert and I will physically fight anyone who tells me otherwise. You have cake (technically ladyfinger biscuits, but once they’re soft, it’s basically cake), you’ve got rich mousse, you’ve got whatever you’re topping it off with… actually, it’s not that complicated when I put it like that, but that’s the point: it’s simple, easy to make, and perfect every time.
I’m not a big coffee lover, though, so to change it up a bit and add to perfection (in my opinion) I like to do twists on this classic and so this is my version of an apple (and rum) tiramisu.
Recipe (Serves 8)
- Mix the mascarpone cheese, sugar, egg yolk, 1tbsp Grumblebee Honey Spiced Rum, Curd and cream into a bowl and beat with a spatula until smooth and soft peaks form.
- Pour the apple juice and 1 tbsp of Grumblebee Honey Spiced Rum into a shallow dish and dip the ladyfinger and lay into a 25x30cm serving dish.
- (optional) Spoon the apple butter over the ladyfingers and spread evenly.
- Spread all the mousse over the ladyfingers, or (if using a smaller dish) use half the mousse and repeat the dipping, lining and spreading process.
- (optional) spread a thin layer of rum caramel (recipe below) over the mousse.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the dish.
- Put the tiramisu in the fridge for at 12-24 hours.
I served this recently with a liqueur glass of Grumblebee Honey Spiced Rum and my guests were blown away by the combination!
- 200g sugar
- 5 tbsp Grumblebee Honey Spiced Rum
- 230ml cream (room temperature)
- 85g butter (cubed and room temperature)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the sugar and rum in a heavy bottomed pan and stir over high heat until it is melted. Brush down the pan with water regularly to prevent burning. Stir occasionally.
- When the sugar, rum mix has caramelised into a deep gold colour, add the cream. This will make the mixture bubble violently, so be careful and mix vigorously.
- As soon as the cream has been combined, add the cubed butter and mix in.
- As soon as the butter is melted, remove the pan from heat and add salt and vanilla. Mix.